When I was juvenile and had restrictions over late night or mobile usage etc., I used to count days to be an adult. Epoch I used to long for were the days to freedom of making a choice for myself and being ‘legally’ responsible. How novice of me to not know ‘Adulthood’ is a charade.
- Aseem Trivedi Case: This guy became so conspicuous very recently. But he has been toiling with ‘Freedom of Speech’ and ‘Freedom of Expression’ since long. His Website was also banned. So, now, if I have to draw, I need to take a consent from politicians to draw cartoons on them? Right, so I spend my life taking permits.
- The Dirty Picture Case: A movie legit for Adult viewing in movie theaters isn’t befitting to be viewed at home even after 11 p.m.? Right, as if we don’t have Star Worlds & Zee Cafes on our TV Screen! Of course, cleavage is more vulgar than kissing (Oh wait, how do you gauge vulgar? Bare Waist Vs Bare Legs, your pick?)
- ‘Cigarette Smoking is Injurious to Health’ Case: As far as I can tell, Cigarette smoking (at smoking zones) is not a crime while raping, killing, hitting-and-running, blackmailing and drinking alcohol (in Gujarat & few other states) are. “Dearest Bollywood Fraternity, please try to make a movie without all this.”: Message from Censor board and Politicians. “Please add love, violence & youngsters to that list”: Village Adults.
Rest assured I can give you many such examples like Social Media Ban, Dhoble etc.. But instead, let’s talk solutions. I reckon system of U, U/A & A should do. Make it K (Kids), Y (youngsters) and A (Adults). We can employ it to everything ranging from Newspapers to TV Channels to Websites and to Night-Clubs. If you choose the ‘A’ category and you do a crime owing to that, you get the extreme punishment. You are an adult, you made the choice now face the consequences.
To explain it further, say there is Bar rated ‘A’, it should be acceded to stay open 24*7 and serve drinks to the adult as much as he can pay for. But if the person is then caught Drunk-&-Driving or by chance meets an accident, give him as much punishment as you like. Let the ‘power to make a choice’ stay with adults and ‘power to punish for the crime’ stay with the government.
1. In case there is any law that states a person can not talk about these things on blogs, pardon my negligence, I couldn’t find any such thing on internet. You didn’t promote it enough.
2. Problem exists, we all know. If you have a better solution, please feel ‘free’ to express.